Why join Young Leaders-Sierra Leone?
In Sierra Leone today about 60 percent of the country’s entire population consist of youth who are between the ages of 13 and 35.
Youth should be a period for young people to explore their wide ideas, unleash their creative mind, have high spirits, enthusiasm and liveliness, which they use to make their environment better. But for many of the youth in Sierra Leone such opportunities are, either intentionally or unintentionally, destroyed.
Our colleagues in Sierra Leone continue to face major challenges. They suffer the most from unemployment; they sleep in the roughest of places; they face deliberate marginalisation; they suffer the worse form of poverty imaginable; they die young because of poor health facilities. This is a social injustice and social exclusion that must stop.
The mission of Young Leaders-Sierra Leone is to foster a platform for young Sierra Leonean at home and in the Diaspora to participate actively in nation-building through dialogue, education, advocacy, networking, and development.
We work in collaboration with partner organisations, national government and other stakeholders to help make a better place for Sierra Leone’s young people.
There is a strong feeling of disillusion amongst them in connection with their standard of living. However, there is also a strong atmosphere of hope for a better future. So the question this poses is: what can we do to keep this hope alive and prepare youth for the future?
Individually everyone can make a difference. But to make a significant impact and for a sustainable way to deal with the challenges the youth face, as well as capitalise on opportunities, we’ve got to work collectively.
So what are our Objectives?
- To conduct trainings that teach young people about tools, resources and strategies that support their professional and academic goals.
- To provide a platform on which young people can express their concerns and actively engage in solution strategies to address problems in their communities and the world.
- To advocate on behalf of young people's interests and concerns in relation to government policies, and non-governmental organizations' activities.
- To provide young professionals from all walks of life the environment to meet, socialise, network, seek advice, and share experiences with other ambitious and like-minded professionals.
- To mobilize, inspire and engage young people from grassroots level to become active and
We believe that by joining us, we can all work together to significantly improve the standard of living of Sierra Leone’s young people.
Yours in the Youth Cause
President and CEO
Young Leaders-Sierra Leone